The missions and the legal structure of the Scientific and Technical Center for Building, a public organization of an industrial and commercial nature, are defined in Articles L142-1, L142-2 and R142-1 to R142-14 of the French Building Code. The president is appointed by governmental decree.
The Board of Directors
The Board is composed of 27 members appointed by Ministerial Order:
- one member of parliament and one senator;
- six government representatives;
- four representatives of local governments and of their groups;
- six qualified experts;
- nine staff representatives.
Defined by governmental decree, its powers include approval of budgets and financial statements, validation of the Objectives and Performance Contract and annual research programs, and strategic issues of all types.
The Government Commissioner, the Economic and Financial Auditor General, members of the Executive Committee and the Secretary of the Works Council participate in the meetings of the Board.
The following CSTB Board members are appointed to represent the government:
- Élodie BOUDOUIN: representing the Minister for Industry;
- Étienne CRÉPON: CSTB President, representing the Minister for Construction;
- Pierre PACAUD: representing the Minister for Research;
- Emmanuelle GAY: representing the Minister for the Environment;
- Julien ANTHONIOZ-BLANC: representing the Minister responsible for Civil Security;
- Agnès VINCE: representing the Minister responsible for Architecture.
For the National Assembly:
- Jean-Luc FUGIT: MP for Rhône
For the Senate:
- Elisabeth LAMURE: Senator for Rhône
For the Association of French Mayors:
- Maud TALLET: Mayor of Champs-sur-Marne
For the Association of Communities of France:
- Corinne CASANOVA: vice-president of Lac du Bourget Community
For the Assembly of Counties of France:
- Christian BRAUX: councilor for Loiret County
For the Association of Regions of France:
- Françoise COUTANT: vice-president, Climate Energy Transition, Aquitaine-Limousin-Poitou Charentes Regional Council
- Michel DROIN: President of Batisol Plus, representing the French Building Federation (FFB);
- Patrick LIÉBUS: President of the Confederation of Craftsmen and Small Builders (CAPEB);
- Yves METZ: President of Ingerop and vice-president of Syntec;
- Nasrine SERAJI: architect.
Elected staff representatives:
- Olivier FLAMAND
- Nadine GABRIEL
- Catherine GUIGOU
- Claude POMPÉO
- Florence RENIER
- Thibaud ROUSSELLE
- Emmanuel CAZENAVE
- Alexandra LEBRET
- Benoît VINOT
Also present at Board meetings:
- Paul DELDUC: Director-General for Development, Housing and Nature, as Government Commissioner;
- Claire SALLENAVE: Deputy Director – Research and Innovation Department – Ministry for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition;
- Sylvie DONNE: Economic and Financial Auditor General.
The Executive Committee
The Executive Committee of the CSTB defines strategy, oversees and organizes the management of the CSTB in line with the Objectives and Performance Contract.
The Management Committee
The Management Committee includes the members of the Executive Committee as well as the following people:
The Management Board
The members of the Management Board are the president, all Management Committee members, all operational and functional department managers, director-delegates and the director of Certivéa. It coordinates all of the divisions and subsidiaries of the CSTB Group and addresses specific topics and recent events.
The External Ethics Committee
The External Ethics Committee was established by the CSTB Board of Directors in December 2014. The six external experts on this committee guide and support the CSTB in ensuring full compliance with its stated commitments for the purpose of guaranteeing ethical behavior and preventing conflicts of interest (The CSTB Ethics Charter). This committee presents an annual report of its activities to the Board of the CSTB. Any physical person or legal entity may refer a matter to the External Ethics Committee by completing an online form.
Members of the External Ethics Committee:
- Thierry BERT, as President of the CSTB Certification Committee;
- Michel DROIN, as a member of the Board, from the College of “Qualified Experts”.
- Pierre GRAFF, as President of the External Ethics Committee;
- Dany ESCUDIE, as President of the CSTB Scientific Council;
- Michel RAY, as President of the CSTB Consultative Committee;
- Jacques ROUDIER, as a qualified expert in the areas of competence of the CSTB.
The Consultative Committee
The mission of the Consultative Committee is to support and guide the CSTB’s R&D policy. Its composition is defined by ministerial order and its members come from a broad range of disciplines. In addition to representatives of the government and its agencies, the members of this committee include representatives of research organizations and socioeconomic stakeholders from the construction industry. It is chaired by Michel RAY, the former Technical and Innovation Director of EGIS.
Stakeholders on the Consultative Committee:
ADEME | Anah | ANR | CGI | Ministry of Social Affairs and Health | Ministry for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition | Ministry for Community Cohesion | Ministry of National Education and Youth | Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation | BRGM | CEA | CEREMA | ENPC | ENSMP Mines Paristech | Ifsttar | IGN | INERIS | Institut Telecom | Irstea | Météo France | Comue Paris-Est | ADVANCITY | Aetic | AIMCC | ASTEE | CAPEB | CERIB | CETIAT | CICF Construction | CINOV | CTICM | Effinergie | FCBA | FFB | France Nature Environnement | Renewable Energy Syndicate | Syntec Ingénierie
The Scientific Council
The Scientific Council evaluates the CSTB's research programs. Its mission is to issue an opinion on: the scope and scientific quality of projects; the development of cross-disciplinary approaches; academic partnerships; interaction with the socioeconomic environment; the dissemination of results; their exploitation and transfer; involvement in education; and the research strategy over a five-year period.
The main duty of the Scientific Council, as set out in the Objectives and Performance Contract, is to implement an evaluation system adapted to the specific nature of the CSTB, defined in accordance with the recommendations of the High Council for the Evaluation of Research and Higher Education, established by the law of July 22, 2013.
Chaired by Dany Escudié, the Scientific Council consists of experts from outside of the CSTB. Its composition covers all of the scientific and technical priorities of the CSTB.
Members of the Scientific Council:
- Francis ALLARD: Professor at the University of La Rochelle;
- Dany ESCUDIÉ: CNRS Research Supervisor, President of the Scientific Council of CNRS-INSIS (National Center for Scientific Research-Institute of Engineering and Systems Sciences);
- Patrice GEOFFRON: Professor of Economic Sciences at the University Paris Dauphine;
- Cécile GOFFAUX: Director of Business Development & Innovation at Cenaero (Applied Research Center on Aeronautics);
- Guillaume HABERT: Professor of Sustainable Development at ETH Zürich (Federal Institute of Technology Zurich);
- Gérard LASFARGUE: Delegate General Director, department of Sciences for Expertise at Anses (French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety);
- Marie-Hélène LAURENT: Senior Researcher on scenario planning in the residential housing sector, EnerBAT department (energy in buildings and territories) at EDF R&D;
- Catherine TRUFFERT: Business Developer, Vice-President IRIS-Instruments, BRGM (French geological survey office);
- Stéphanie VERMEERSCH: Scientific Deputy Director, Institute of Human and Social Sciences, CNRS (National Center for Scientific Research).
Acting on behalf of the CSTB Board, the Certification Committee of the CSTB addresses general issues concerning certification.
To ensure the added value of certification that effectively meets the expectations and needs of stakeholders, the Certification Committee includes representatives from the different interested parties, without predominance of any given group: consumers, users, specifiers, certificate holders, certification and technical bodies, experts or other qualified persons, special committees and administrations.
The CSTB Certification Committee is chaired by Thierry BERT, the Inspector-General of Finance.
There are special committees for each field of application. They help define the specific requirements of their field.